The KFL&A Food Charter was developed by the KFL&A Healthy Eating Working Group (HEWG) from 2011 to 2012.
- In August 2011, a Masters of Public Health Student completed an assessment of Canadian food charters to guide the KFL&A Food Charter development.
- In October 2011, the HEWG began development of the Food Charter.
- A draft Food Charter was presented to stakeholder and community members from March-May 2013.
- In August 2012, the HEWG finalized the Food Charter with the recommendations from the stakeholder and community consultations.
- From September to December 2012, the Food Charter received the following endorsements:
- KFL&A Board of Health: September 2012
- County of Frontenac: November 2012
- City of Kingston: December 2012
- Sustainable Kingston Board: December 2012
The Food Charter represents a vision for our food system in our region of Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington.
A food charter is a statement of principles that can foster and guide food policy and programming and be utilized by citizens, community organizations and governments.